Business-class storage capacity and performance for demanding work environments
Sorry, this product is no longer available. Please contact us for more information.
Synology RackStation RS3617xs provides reliable, superior-performance network attached storage solution for large scale businesses with comprehensive business applications. RS3617xs simplifies data management, optimizes virtualization environments, and rapidly expands storage capacity with minimal time investment in setup and maintenance. Synology RS3617xs is backed with Synology’s 5-year limited warranty.
- Reliable centralized storage solution for large scale businesses
- Blazing performance at over 3,263 MB/s throughput and 333,941 IOPS
- Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 quad-core 3.3GHz
- Optional 10GbE network capability
- Scale up to 36 drives with Synology RX1217/RX1217RP
- Complete virtualization solution for VMware, Windows Hyper-V, and Citrix
- Advanced Btrfs file system offering 65,000 system-wide snapshots and 1,024 snapshots per shared folder
- Backed with Synology’s 5-year limited warranty & Synology Replacement Service (SRS)
RS3617xs delivers blazing performance at over 3,263 MB/s sequential throughput and 333,941 IOPS under a RAID 5 configuration with 10GbE Link Aggregation enabled. Through advanced flash technology, the combination of hard drives and SSD cache boosts throughput efficiently while minimizing cost per gigabyte. In addition to the four 1GbE RJ-45 ports by default, RS3617xs comes with dual PCIe 3.0 x8 slots, allowing installation of two 10GbE Network Interface Cards (NIC) for maximized bandwidth, bringing you the superior performance that data-intensive applications demand of your storage system. Equipped with 4GB DDR3 ECC RAM and up to 32GB expansion support, RS3617xs ensures data accuracy as well as superior performance to provide a rigorous foundation for the mission-critical tasks of your business.
RS3617xs provides seamless storage solutions for virtualization environments, including VMware, Citrix, and Hyper-V. With VMware vSphere 6 and VAAI integration certified, RS3617xs helps offload specific storage operations and optimizes computation power for unparalleled performance and efficiency in VMware environments. As the centralized storage of a virtual environment, RS3617xs enables virtual machine migration, allowing movement from server to server whilst eliminating service downtime and disruption to user. Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) and Synology Advanced LUN support greatly improves the efficiency on massive data transfer and migration.
Comprehensive Business Applications
Powered by the innovative Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), RS3617xs comes fullyequipped with applications and features designed specifically for large-scale business:
- Easy integration with existing business network environments through Windows AD and LDAP directory services without recreating user accounts.
- Windows ACL support provides fine-grained access control and efficient privilege settings, allowing RS3617xs to fit seamlessly into current infrastructure.
- Built-in backup applications protect information assets by regularly backing up files and iSCSI LUNs locally and remotely.
- Continuous data protection with snapshots of shared folders allows restoration of previous versions when the need arises.
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) on shared folders with hardware acceleration ensures security without compromising access performance, providing over 2,612MB/s in reading.
RS3617xs is designed to grow with businesses and provides the ability to seamlessly expand a single volume up to 200TB (with 32GB RAM installed) / 108TB on the fly. RS3617xs supports up to 36 HDDs or SSDs for flexible capacity and balanced performance to meet the needs of varying applications and processes. When the storage capacity of RS3617xs nears it limit, expansion is easily accomplished with up to two Synology Expansion Unit RX1217/RX1217RP via specially-designed connection cables to maximize data transmission throughput between main server and expansion units. Management of the large storage space on RS3617xs is simple and flexible. Multiple Volumes on RAID allows users to create more than one volume on a RAID structure, providing a flexible and efficient way to manage the storage across all hard drives. When the need for more space arises, the volume could be easily expanded without any service disruption.
Reliability, Availability & Disaster Recovery
System reliability is of paramount importance to businesses which depend upon their commercial servers every day. RS3617xs responds to these concerns with wide-ranging availability and redundancy features:
- Synology High Availability ensures seamless transition between clustered servers in the event of server failure with minimal impact to applications.
- Shared Folder Sync replicates data in real-time to another Synology NAS at a remote location for prompt disaster recovery to meet the Recovery Time Objective (RTO) of your business
- Redundant system fans and network ports with failover support ensure continual service uptime.
- High reliability system design including fan-less CPU heat-sink and passive cooling technology prevents single point of failure.
- ECC RAM modules detect and correct errors during data transmission.
- Tool-free system fan design allows hot swap and easy exchange of malfunctioned system fans.
High-performance rackmount NAS with easy scalability
RS3617xs is designed to allow for effortless scalability up to 36 drive bays. The quad-core Xeon processor is suitable for running additional virtual machines while meeting intensive data transfer requirements.
10GbE ready, and beyond
Two PCIe 3.0 slots ensure faster networking as you expand your infrastructure. Together with the built-in quad Gigabit ports, RS3617xs offers comprehensive connectivity options for link aggregation and failover configurations.
Digital asset protection
Powered by Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), Synology NAS offers advanced security measures to protect against sudden data loss and potential security holes.
- Security Advisor
Analyzes system settings, password strength, network preferences, and removes any possible malware.
A kernel-level enhancement that blocks malicious programs from accessing unauthorized system resources.
- AES 256-bit encryption
Encrypt shared folders and network data transmission to keep data from unauthorized access.
- 2-step verification
Prevent others from logging in to your DSM by generating a one-time password (OTP) on your mobile device.
- Trust Level
Customize the trust level in Package Center to avoid installing packages from untrusted sources, safeguarding your NAS from unknown or tampered package files.
Complete iSCSI and virtualization solutions
Synology iSCSI storage supports most virtualization solutions including VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix Xen Server, and OpenStack Cinder, to enhance work efficiency. Create and manage virtual machines running multiple operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and DSM using Virtual Machine Manager.
Btrfs: Next generation storage efficiency
Btrfs file system introduces the most advanced storage technologies to meet the management needs of modern large scale businesses:
- Flexible Shared Folder/User Quota System provides comprehensive quota control on all user accounts and shared folders
- Snapshot Replication provides schedulable and storage capacity-saving data protection with 1,024 shared folder backups and 65,000 system-wide snapshots
- File or folder level data restoration makes data recovery fast and flexible
- Automatic file self-healing detects and recovers corrupted files without user intervention
5 year warranty
Synology's 5-year limited warranty provides hardware replacement and technical support via email and telephone services, maximizing your enterprises' return on investment.
Powered by Synology DSM
Manage multiple Synology NAS servers simultaneously on a centralized interface to increase business efficiency.
Secure, reliable, and private mail server solution with an intuitive and modern mail client.
Synology High Availability
Ensures seamless service transition between clustered servers in the event of a server failure.
Collaborate together on spreadsheets and documents on your own private cloud.
Provides schedulable and instantaneous data protection for shared folders and virtual machines on iSCSI LUNs in the event of disaster.
Comprehensive built-in security tools are constantly updated to tackle evolving threats and protect your devices.
- Power button and indicator
- Beep off button
- Drive status indicator
- Drive tray
- PSU on/off switch
- Power port
- PSU fan
- Console port
- USB 2.0 port
- USB 3.0 port
- 1GbE RJ-45 port
- Reset button
- Expansion port
- PCIe 3.0 slot
|CPU Model||Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2|
|CPU Frequency||Quad Core 3.3 GHz|
|Hardware Encryption Engine (AES-NI)|
|System Memory||4 GB DDR3 ECC|
|Memory Module Pre-installed||2 GB x 2|
|Total Memory Slots||4|
|Memory Expandable up to||32 GB (8 GB X 4)|
|Maximum Drive Bays with Expansion Unit||36|
|Compatible Drive Type||
|Maximum Internal Raw Capacity||96 TB (8 TB HDD x 12) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)|
|Maximum Raw Capacity with Expansion Units||288 TB (8 TB HDD x 36) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)|
|Maximum Single Volume Size||
|Hot Swappable Drive|
|RJ-45 1GbE LAN Port||4 (with Link Aggregation / Failover support)|
|USB 2.0 Port||2|
|USB 3.0 Port||2|
|Add-in-card support||PCIe Network Interface Card|
|Notes||exFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center.|
|Size (Height X Width X Depth)||88 mm x 445 mm x 570 mm|
|System Fan||80 mm x 80 mm x 4 pcs|
|Fan Speed Mode||
|Easy Replacement System Fan|
|Noise Level||40.5 dB(A)|
|Scheduled Power On/Off|
|Wake on LAN/WAN|
|Power Supply Unit / Adapter||500W|
|AC Input Power Voltage||100V to 240V AC|
|Power Frequency||50/60 Hz, Single Phase|
|Power Consumption||116.7 W (Access)
60.3 W (HDD Hibernation)
|Operating Temperature||5°C to 35°C (40°F to 95°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-20°C to 60°C (-5°F to 140°F)|
|Relative Humidity||5% to 95% RH|
|Networking protocol||SMB, AFP, NFS, FTP, WebDAV, CalDAV, iSCSI, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, VPN (PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP)|
|Supported RAID type||Basic, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10|
|File sharing capability||
|Privilege||Windows Access Control List (ACL)|
|Virtualization||VMware vSphere 5, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix certified|
|Directory service||Windows AD integration: Domain Users login via Samba (SMB)/AFP/FTP/File Station, LDAP integration|
|Security||FTP over SSL / TLS, IP auto-block, firewall, encrypted network backup over Rsync, HTTPS connection|
|Utilities||Synology Web Assistant, Cloud Station Drive, Cloud Station Backup, Cloud Sync Decryption Tool, Evidence Integrity Authenticator, Photo Station Uploader, Snapshot Manager for VMware, Snapshot Manager for Windows, NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI|
|Supported client||Windows 7 onward, Mac OS X 10.10 onwards|
|Supported browser||Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 9 onwards, Safari 8 onwards; Safari (iOS 7 onwards), Chrome (Android 4.0 onwards) on tablets|
|Interface language||English, Deutsch, Français, Italiano, Español, Dansk, Norsk, Svensk, Nederlands, Русский, Polski, Magyar, Português do Brasil, Português Europeu, Türkçe, Český|
|File Station||Virtual drive, remote folder, Windows ACL editor, compress/extract archived files, bandwidth control for specific users or groups, create sharing links, transfer logs|
|Backup solutions||Network backup; local backup; desktop backup; configuration backup; OS X Time Machine; backup data to public cloud; shared folder sync - maximum task number: 16|
|FTP Server||Bandwidth control for TCP connections, custom FTP passive port range, anonymous FTP, FTP SSL/TLS and SFTP protocols, boot over the network with TFTP and PXE support, transfer logs|
|High Availability Manager||Combines two RS3617xs into one high-availability cluster|
|Security Advisor||Malware detection/removal, user account/password, network, system-related security scan|
|iOS/Android applications||DS cloud, DS file, DS finder, DS cam, DS note, DS audio, DS download, DS photo, DS video|
|Windows Phone applications||DS file, DS finder, DS audio, DS download, DS photo, DS video|
|Antivirus Essential||Full system scan, scheduled scan, white list customization, virus definition auto update|
|Cloud Station Suite||Maximum concurrent file transfers: 1024, retain historical and deleted file versions|
|Cloud Sync||One or two-way synchronization with public cloud storage providers including Amazon Cloud Drive, Amazon S3-compatible storage, Baiduyun, Box, Dropbox, Google Cloud Storage, Google Drive, hubiC, Megafon Disk, Microsoft OneDrive, OpenStack Swift-compatible storage, WebDAV servers, Yandex Disk|
|DLNA/UPnP Media Server||DLNA certified, PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Xbox One support|
|Log Center||SSL connection, log rotation: 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, email notification|
|MailPlus||Intuitive webmail interface for MailPlus Server; customizable mail labels, filters and user interface|
|MailPlus Server||Secure, reliable, and private mail server solution with High-availability, load balancing, security and filtering design (Including free MailPlus licenses for 5 mail accounts. Procurement of additional licenses is required.)|
|Note Station||Rich-text note organization and versioning, encryption, sharing, media embedding and attachments|
|Storage Analyzer||Volume and quota usage, total size of files, volume usage and trends based on past usage, size of shared folders, largest/most/least frequently modified files|
|Surveillance Station||Maximum IP camera: 75 (total of 2250 FPS at 720p, H.264) (Including two free camera licenses. Procurement of additional licenses is required.)|
|VPN Server||Maximum connections: 30; supported VPN protocol: PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP|
|Web Station||Virtual host (up to 30 websites), PHP/MariaDB, 3rd-party applications support|
|Other packages||Photo Station, Audio Station, iTunes Server, 3rd-party packages|
|Environment & Packaging:|
*Model specifications are subject to change without notice. Please refer to www.synology.com for the latest information.
1 Performance figures may vary depending on environment, usage and configuration.
2 RS3617xs supports up to 2 Synology Expansion Unit RX1217/RX1217RP, sold separately.
3 exFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center
Synology strives to enhance the performance of our NAS with every software update, even long after a product is launched. For enterprises and users that demand uncompromising performance from their servers, check the figures below to find the most suitable choice.
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput (64KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput via Encrypted Shared Folder (64KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential IOPS (4KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Random IOPS (4KB)
10GbE iSCSI - Random IOPS (4KB)
1GbE Web Server - HTML Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||206844.45||206230.02||206829.64||206029.56||203557.34||207195.69||203230.31||154099.02|
1GbE Web Server - PHP Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||59770.68||82017.29||94612.93||82507.9||60403.53||59953.64||57127.87||31322.65|
- Operating System: DSM 6.1
- Volume Type: RAID 5
- RC18015xs+ with RXD1215sas, RS18017xs+: Fully loaded with HGST HUSMH8020BSS200 SAS SSD
- DS3018xs: Fully loaded with Intel DC S3710 series 800GB SSDSC2BA800G4 SATA SSD
- Other models: Fully loaded with Intel 535 series 240GB SSDSC2BW240H6 SSD
- RS18017xs+: 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM (16GB x 2)
- RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+, RS3617RPxs: 16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM (8GB x 2)
- DS3018xs: 32GB DDR4 ECC SO-DIMM (16GB x 2)
- Other models: System default capacity
- File System: Btrfs
- Aggregated 10GbE SMB and 10GbE iSCSI network environment:
- RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+: 6 x 10GbE ports (built-in 10GbE ports + 2 x Intel X540-T2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Netgear M4300-24X24F switch
- RS3617RPxs, RS3617xs: 4 x 10GbE ports (2 x Intel X520-DA2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Juniper QFX5100-48S-AFO switch
- RC18015xs+, DS3617xs, DS3018xs: 2 x 10GbE ports (1 x Intel X520-DA2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Juniper QFX5100-48S-AFO switch
- For RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz; 4GB DDR3-1600; Synology E10G17-F2 NIC; MTU 9000; Windows 7 64 bit
- For other models: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz; 4GB DDR3-1600; Intel X520-DA2 NIC; MTU 9000; Windows 7 64 bit
- IOMeter configuration: Continuously read from/write to a single 16GB file for 3 minutes; Block size: 64KB for SMB, 4KB for IOPS and iSCSI
- 1GbE Web Server Network Environment:
- Intel Core i7-6700 3.40GHz; 16GB DDR4-2133; Intel Gigabit CT; MTU 1500; Ubuntu 16.04
- (html) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark" http://DS_IP/index.html
- (php) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark"http://DS_IP/echo.php
- Performance figures are achieved in the Synology lab by using very powerful client computers with optimized network settings, and could vary in different environments. Regular office desktop or notebook computers may not be able to reproduce these figures.
Download the Synology RackStation RS3617xs Datasheet (PDF).